- Boil the jug and hand sanitize the area you are about to cut open.
- Go outside, snip the corner, and add 2.8 liters of water
- Leave overnight to cool, not warm but really cool
- When it is really cool add some spawn you only need about 50 grams but you can add a whole 1 kg of spawn for more mushrooms
- Shake the bag so the bag is mixed and the spawn mixes around the bag
- Put the bag in a warm spot in winter or just a cool dark place in summer.
- Once the bag is all white or if you can see tiny mushrooms growing out make some slits in the bag to let the mushrooms grow out. The more slits the more mushrooms.
- Put the bag in a wet area like the shower tray
- Harvest the mushrooms before they drop spores or curl up
- Join the Facebook growing group (NZ Mushroom Growing)
- Rare Native Pleurotus pulmonarius (a nicer flavour and softer when cooking)
- Endemic Pleurotus parsonsiae (a new chewy oyster mushroom that is great for long cooking)
Anyone can gift growing mushrooms to a school. Teachers, students, parents, and anonymous people can gift to their school or the school of your choice.
The school will get a grow bag sent to the school address with full instructions.
Give the gift that keeps on giving, help me inspire a new world of mushroom growers that love New Zealand.
You must get it sent to a school address.
A teacher sent this in after we sent them a free bag:
This morning there were kids with open mouthed astonishment. Oh wow! I have never had so many children dragging their parents by their hand into their classroom to show them something interesting. The information they are giving their parents is gold. One of my students is not very articulate (due to autism) but he is fascinated by what he refers to as our fungi forest. Thank you for inspiring my students.
A large grow bag worth $47 will be sent.
Use any of our Pleurotus spawn with this simple masters mix ready-made.
This beautiful substrate named masters mix is the most preferred substrate on YouTube. It packs punch growing oversized mushrooms with soybean hulls (mushroom superfood).
I have done all the hard work and if you are one of those that likes ready prepared meals then it can not get easier with this bag. A definite must for the first time grower. You could buy 10 of them and just one bag of spawn as the substrate is sterilized and you only need a small amount in each bag. You can add the whole bag of spawn and have an extra kilo of the substrate and even more mushrooms.
You can buy any of the Pleurotus mushrooms spawns and make your own grow bags. DO NOT USE THIS FOR NZ Shiitake.
Instructions for masters mix medium
You will need to boil the jug a couple of times to get a total of 2.8 liters of water. I first added 1.5 liters and then added 1.3 liters. You are better off doing this outside and make sure you only open the bag to add the water. It is possible a mold spore could land inside the sterile bag and destroy the whole bag at this stage. Be really careful!
If you add the spawn when it is even warmish it may kill the spawn. Make sure you cool it well
Because the bag is sterile you only need a tiny amount, you could buy 10 masters mix bags and just one bag of spawn that would work fine.
If you leave it in the light the bag will not go all white and it will fruit early giving you fewer mushrooms.
You can add many cuts it does not matter like in the video below. If you want a supermassive bunch of mushrooms just cut one hole and the bunch will grow out of there. The mushrooms only come out where there is oxygen.
It just needs moist air, if it is raining outside hang on a veranda but do not let the mushrooms get wet. Wet mushrooms get waterlogged and don't last long. Try to spray the walls inside the shower rather than the mushrooms. This will create a wet environment for them and they will grow well.
There should always be a couple in stock but if you need heaps it may be up to a week's wait.
This two-step mushroom growing kit is the next step after you fruited a ready-made grow bag.
These kits make much larger bags than our largest Ready to fruit grow bag
Just add boiling water, cool, and then add the seeds (rye berries inoculated with oyster mushroom mycelium).
These are also great for education in schools or for your children to show them how the mushroom growing process works. The photos below are from a school teacher who fruited the bag in her classroom. Rare Native Pleurotus pulmonarius is the spawn.
There are Two options for this two-step mushroom growing kit.
You can buy extra substrate bags, up to 10 can be inoculated from the bag of spawn included.